betterbodiestucson.com

My photo
Personal Training Studio dedicated to helping people to a healthier, happier, more fulfilling life.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Footwear, What Do You Prefer?

Today I would like to get your feedback on footwear.  There are a lot of differing opinions on footwear so Better Bodies on Campbell would like to hear your thoughts.  What do you were and why?

I would also like to give you my thoughts from a personal trainer's perspective.  I have heard and read different articles and opinions from some really great sources.  So for myself, I have done what I always do and I ask my "fail proof" question, for whom is the article written, or for what goal?

The conclusion I have come to is that there is no one answer and there is not one shoe that does it all.  I take into consideration two things when I am choosing footwear for my current activity.  The first consideration that I always keep in mind that the feet are the proprioceptors for the hips and the second, is the activity that I am doing which adds support and striking point.

For the proprioception, the more there is between the foot and the ground, the less your hips can stabalize.  This is important for slower movements like hiking, walking, and working out.  I use a flat soled shoe for everything outside of running.  I like vans for this purpose and I have seen the finger shoes, hiking boots, wrestling shoes, and barefoot.  I know some people that have went as far as doing squats barefoot in the sand and Arnold preferred working out barefoot.  Done right, you can really build your arches well and it help with daily activities as well.  I prefer Vans myself as the cost is reasonable and the construction and quality is great.  I even hike in high top vans.

For the second determining factor of activity, you may not want a flat soled shoe for long distance running or sprinting.  Also, some sports require a different shoe like soccer, football, special pedals for biking, etc.  So if your sport determines your footwear, use the appropriate footwear.  If it is up to you in something like running then go with what works best for you.  Usually you will be picking a good running shoe with a sole that creates a slight tilt forward.  This helps with a heal strike and helps to position your body.  There are plenty of  runners that will use the toe shoes or finger shoes.  From the advice that I have heard from seminars and professional athlete coaches and doctors is not always the same.  Some say to go with a running shoe and others stay with the minimal amount of sole on a shoe.  For the minimal sole shoe, What seems to be consistent is that  you should build up to running with the toe shoes and don't go out and change it all at once.  If your not used to a toe shoe then maybe walk with them for a couple days, then run a short distance to make sure your foot is adapting to it.  You will need to build your arch and it takes some time.  The basics to building an arch are to walk on three points.  Your heel, the knuckle of your pinkie toe and the knuckle of your big toe.  In the beginning you will feel like your walking on the outside of your foot and your muscles along the outside of your calf might get sore.

So like anything, take it all into consideration and go with what works for you.  And don't be apposed to changing down the road as your arch builds and you pay more attention to how your foot touches the ground.  Feel free to email me (justin@betterbodiestucson.com) or DM me on Facebook for more info.  And please feel free to leave your comments and opinions as there are great people with differing opinions here so your feedback is much appreciated.

Exercise well, Exercise often.

Sincerely,

Justin List
Owner: Better Bodies on Campbell
Email: justin@betterbodiestucson.com
Facebook: facebook.com/betterbodiesoncampbell



No comments: